Club Funding

Each year, the Club Coordination Council allocates over $250,000 in Student Activity Fees to undergraduate clubs. The CCC has three ways to receive money from the fees:

  1. Spring Allocation
  2. Appeal Funds
  3. Winter Reallocation
    • For those that just need a little extra money, the CCC opens up allocations again in December/January for the rest of the academic year. Information will be distributed via the ClubLine Listserv List.

The allocation for clubs comes from three main sources:

  • Student Union Endowment
    • The Student Union Endowment was created on April 2, 2007. The purpose of the endowment is to supplement the Student Union Budget, which annually allocates money to all undergraduate student organizations. The endowment was funded by the Carryforward account, The Shirt Project, and the former The Shirt Royalty Fund totaling approximately $650,000.00 at the time of its creation. The total annual interest from the Endowment is allocated to student organizations in the Spring Allocation.
  • Student Activity Fees
    • Each student enrolled at the University of Notre Dame pays $95.00 each year in Student Activity Fees. This money is allocated to student organizations during the Spring Allocation.  
  • The Shirt proceeds
    • Each year, approximately $125,000.00 of the income generated by The Shirt Project is allocated to student organizations during the Spring Allocation. Annually, half of the total income generated by the Shirt Project is received by The Shirt Charity Fund. Finally, income from The Shirt Project also is deposited into the Student Union Endowment, thus increasing the size of the endowment and the interest paid out to the Financial Management Board for allocation to student organizations.

For more information on how money is allocated and what forms you might need, you can also visit the website of the Financial Management Board, the Student Government group that allocates the Student Activity Fees to all of the organizations, as well as The Shirt Charity Fund.

Spring Allocations

During this major allocation period, the CCC asks clubs to complete a budget request and attend an interview in March/April to request money for the following year. More information can be found on the CCC website. Concession stands are also allocated at this time.

  • Organizations/clubs complete, and return a funding request in the spring semester (typically at the end of February). 
  • CCC division representatives meet individually with officers of each organization/club to review the budget request. Attendance at this meeting is required to receive funding. 
  • The CCC representatives meet to determine a recommended allocation based on the interview and budget proposal. The CCC President and Controller review the recommendations to ensure that they are consistent with the priorities identified by the CCC. The CCC president presents the recommended allocations to the Student Union Treasurer’s Office for review. 
  • The Student Union Treasurer’s Office reviews the proposed budgets and recommends a lump sum organization/club allocation for senate approval. The CCC adjusts their recommended organization/club allocations accordingly, and the CCC president presents the revised allocation for senate approval. 
  • If an organization/club is not satisfied with their allocation, they may appeal to the entire CCC. If still not satisfied, they may appeal to the Student Union Treasurer’s Office. They may then appeal to the senate. The senate decision is final.

Club Coordination Council Appeals

The CCC maintains a contingency fund for unanticipated funding needs during the school year. After exhausting all other possible funding sources, organizations/clubs may appeal to the CCC for contingency funding. Organizations/clubs may appeal once per semester and should follow this process:

  • Clubs pick up an appeal form from the literature rack in the CRC located at 314 LaFortune Student Center. The organization/club completes the packet and submits the request to the CCC for consideration at their office in 314E LaFortune.
  • The club emails the correct CCC Division to set up a meeting. Emails are located outside the CCC office.
  • The club meets with the CCC division representatives from their respective division to discuss their appeal and answer any questions.
  • The division representatives present the appeal to the entire CCC at the Council’s general meeting. The CCC President may request that organization/club officers attend this meeting to answer further questions. The entire CCC discusses the appeal at the meeting and votes on an amount.

Available appeals include:

  • CCC Contingency Appeal - When you need money outside of the allocation periods.
  • CCC Collaboration Fund - When you are collaborating with another club.
  • Council of Representatives Collaboration Fund - When you are collaborating with a Student Government organization (i.e. halls, class councils, SUB, etc).
    • The Council of Representatives manages this fund, which is intended to promote collaborative programming among organizations/clubs and residence facilities. Organizations/clubs may appeal once per semester and should follow the same process they would with an appeal. Additional approval from CoR is added after the CCC decision.
  • Loans - Available in some situations.
    • Contact the CCC for more details on loans.

Additional Funding 

If your group’s allocation isn’t enough to carry you through the year, why not try old-fashioned asking for money? There are many ways to go about this, but here is a general process. Go to the Fundraising page for more information.

If that doesn't work, there are a number of other options.

  • Co-Sponsorships with other clubs/organizations/departments - Contact Student Activities for suggestions on co-sponsorships. Some ideas for collaboration or co-sponsorship include:
    • Visit club/hall council meetings and ask for input on collaboration ideas.
    • Split the entire cost of an event.
    • Reschedule annual events so that they are scheduled closely with other major events.
    • One organization/club pays for and organizes publicity (press releases, ads, posters, etc.).
    • Assign members from different organizations/clubs to volunteer as ushers/stagehands/guest hosts.
    • Offer discounts to large organizations, classes and/or residence facilities.
  • Student Activities Office - SAO has additional funding opportunities for clubs like DICE, as well as opportunities to collaborate. Contact Alicia Bates with your questions.

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I use my FOAPAL Account?

All transactions should go through Student Union Treasurer’s Office. There are many ways to spend the money in your account. For more information, go to the Club Accounting section of The Source.

Are there any restrictions on how I spend my money?

There are certain guidelines, set by the Financial Management Board and the Club Coordination Council, that guide how your allocated funds can be spent. The first one relates to how much money you spend on your event. If your event or item purchased costs more than $5,000, the FMB will need to approve the expenditure. Complete this form and email it to FMB at least two weeks before your event.

Student Union Fiscal Policies

Student Union Fiscal Policies govern the way that all allocated funds to clubs and organizations are spent. The policies below are those that most frequently affect the undergraduate clubs, and are accurate as of April 25, 2010. You can find the most updated and complete policies in the Student Body Constitution. 

Section 18.2. General Guidelines
Student activity fee revenue may be used for, but shall not be limited to, the following purposes―

(1) Social events, seminars, workshops, retreats, and conferences. 
(2) Equipment, supplies, and materials required for the operation of student programs and activities. 
(3) Travel and per diem for students and professional staff members participating in student programs and activities. 
(5) Dues for institutional national charter memberships in recognized student organizations.

Section 18.4. Special Limitations.

(a) Allocated funds may not be used for the purchase of alcoholic beverages, tobacco products, or other controlled substances of any kind.
(b) Student Activity fees may not be used for charitable contributions.

(1) Charitable contributions shall include, but not be limited to, direct donations to charities or individuals, and gifts, prizes, and awards for non-students. 
(2) Student Activity fees may be used to fund Notre Dame students’ participation in service work.

(A) Student Activity fees may be used to pay for the supplies and expenses involved in the activity or project, including (but not limited to) transportation and food.

(3) The net profit of a fundraising event may be donated to charity.

(A) Funds of any type (allocated or unallocated) cannot be used for a direct contribution to any candidate for political office.

Only the political clubs (College Democrats, Libertarians, and Republicans) shall be permitted to use funds of any type (allocated or unallocated). See the Student Body Constitution for more details.

CCC Guidelines
Each Division has similar, but differing guidelines for clubs in their division to spend money. Go to the CCC website for a copy of your Division's Guidelines, and contact the CCC if you have any questions.